A week or two ago, I found Felicity's bed at a garage sale for only $1! (I also got her Windsor writing chair and side table for $1 each)
It was missing a lot of things, like the board that goes at the bottom of the bed, the frame where the curtains attach to, mattress, pillows, and bedding.
Here is the before picture of the bed, as you can see, it is basically just the frame.
I made the bottom support out of cardboard, and the frame out of dowel rods.
After getting my sewing machine repaired (I've been meaning to do this for a while...) I started to make the bedding. I started with the mattress, made a few pillows, and a sheet. Then I made a comforter out of dark blue fabric. For the curtains I chose this fabric, which I've had laying around forever.
I think it looks very colonial and old fashioned. It's a pretty blue floral pattern. I made the curtains with a "pocket" to they could slip onto the dowel rods instead of being tied to the frame (this is how AG had it). Then, I made the canopy out of the same dark blue as the comforter/blanket. And, ta da! Here are some pictures of the finished product!
I think it turned out extremely well for someone who barely knows how to work a sewing machine! :) The only thing I think I messed up on was that the curtains should have went to the floor, but they're a little shorter than that.
Felicity and Elizabeth are very happy with their new bed! I'm even happier because it only cost me $1 for the bed, and about $5 for supplies, because all I needed was the blue fabric and dowel rods.